For the Copies step of the tutorial, I changed my settings. I changed the width of the selection from 20 to 18 because I started with a smaller canvas (I`m used to making smaller tags for another forum with a tag width limit of 500 pixels), so I changed the width of the bar slats to be more in proportion to my smaller canvas size. After filling the 18 pixel wide first bar slat, I moved it to the left (instead of leaving it centered on the canvas). I changed the number of copies to 11 (instead of using 10 from the tutorial), because I wanted the bar slats to fill the space of the canvas all the way to the far right of the canvas. I believe I changed the Shift X setting also so that the slats were closer together.
I duplicated my tube layer and offset it so that it would appear in the bar slats area. I deleted all the tube except for the portion that appears inside the slats, changed the blend mode to burn, and reduced the opacity.
I did all of my drop shadows differently than the tutorial. For the tube "drop shadow", I:
- duplicated the tube layer,
- moved this layer down in the layer palette below the tube layer,
- offset the duplicate layer to the right and lower using effects/image effects/offset (horizontal: 3, vertical: -1),
- applied a gaussian blur of 2,
- changed the blend mode to Difference, and
- reduced the opacity.
I`ve never done a "drop shadow" quite like this before but I was quite pleased with the drop shadow effect that it created for this image. I think the color blends nicely and doesn`t have that dirty appearance that I get so often using the normal drop shadow filter. I did a similar effect for the drop shadow on the slats. For the "drop shadow" on the text, I duplicated the text layer, moved the duplicate below the text layer, offset it (H:1, V:-1), then changed the blend mode to Burn.
I added a horizontal bar, for placing my text, and I filled it with the same gradient that I used for the background (I changed the angle to 90). I added a contrasting outline around all the slats and the bar, changed the blend mode to Screen and reduced the opacity.
For my frame, I filled it with a medium color, applied an inner bevel (bevel=2, width=1, smoothness=10, depth=10, ambience=-53, shininess=22, color=white, angle=315, intensity=75, elevation=50), contracted the selection by 3, then deleted the selection. I liked the sort of button appearance that it gives to the tag.
For the Constellation step of the tutorial, I couldn`t get my filter to set the star size as indicated. The lowest I could get my Star Size to set is 2.00. As much as I tried, I couldn`t get the effect as mentioned in the tutorial, so I had to play with the settings. I applied the filter to the inside of the slats as it is in the tutorial, but it didn`t look good to me as I had the larger size stars and they were covering too much of the tube inside the slats. So that`s when I tried using the VM Natural Sparkle filter. You can see my tag above to see the filter applied within the slats. If you`re interested in the settings for the Sparkle filter, I used the default settings and only changed the Max Size and Random Seed for three frames of animation (19/119, 18/118, 21/121). For the animation, I changed the display time to 15.
But I wasn`t completely satisfied with the Sparkle as I really wanted to use the Constellation filter. So I decided to apply the filter to the outlines of the slats (rather than the inside of the slats). I`ll share the settings that I used for the Constellation filter in case you like the effect (2, 100, 1, 1, 100, 10, angle=45, make selection transparent).
The fonts I used are Emily Regular
for the name and Century Gothic (size 7) for the image credit. For the image credit, I used a medium blue color and then changed the blend mode to Difference.